Why register your trademark? Here is an explanation, from the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”).
Owning a federal trademark registration on the Principal Register provides several advantages, including:
- Public notice of your claim of ownership of the mark
- A legal presumption of your ownership of the mark and your exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration
- The ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court
- The use of the U.S. registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries
- The ability to record the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods
- The right to use the federal registration symbol ®
- Listing in the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s online databases.
Our fees for conducing a basic clearance search, followed by preparation and filing of a federal trademark application are $1500. There is also a USPTO filing fee, which starts at $225. The USPTO filing fee for each application depends on the number of categories of goods and/or services for which registration is sought and the exact wording used to describe those goods/services. Please contact us for more info.